Why are you upgrading to Moodle 2.8?
Moodle version 1.9 was introduced in March of 2008 and was officially supported until July 2012. We are upgrading to Moodle 2.8 (introduced in November 2014) to expand Moodle’s functionality and compatibility with modern web browsers, Moodle integrated modules, and ease of use.
What improvements does Moodle 2.8 bring?
Moodle 2.8 includes several improvements over version 1.9 including:
Improved Grader Report
- Many improvements have been made to the gradebook, with the grader report now functional across all devices with smooth scrolling
New Grade History Report
- Track the grade history of specific users and specific markers in this new report
Improved Quiz Edit Screen and Completion Settings
- The Edit quiz page has been rewritten for improved accessibility, making it much easier to add and manage questions. You can also set completion conditions based on a passing grade or when all available attempts have been used up
More theme: Easily style and brand your Moodle site
- ‘More’ is a new responsive theme designed for admins to easily make basic customisations to the look and feel of their Moodle site directly, without the need for advanced technical knowledge
How do I change my password and personalise my profile?
In Moodle 2.8, user preferences are accessible by clicking the drop-down box in the upper-right corner of the header bar on each webpage. This header bar also features language options and is visible as a user scrolls down the webpage. Along with user preferences are the options for a user to view his/her course dashboard, profile, grades, messages, and logout of Moodle.
Where are my editing tools?
In Moodle 2.8, editing tools can be found by clicking the ‘Turn editing on’ toggle, followed by clicking the ‘Edit’ dropdown box next to the resource you’d like to edit. This dropdown box replaces the array of editing tools displayed in Moodle 1.9.
What activities or resources can I add to my course?
Moodle 2.8 includes and has expanded upon several of the activity and resource modules available in version 1.9 such as:
- The assignment activity module enables a teacher to communicate tasks, collect work, and provide grades and feedback
- The forum activity module enables participants to have asynchronous discussions (i.e. discussions that take place over an extended period of time)
- The glossary activity module enables participants to create and maintain a list of definitions, like a dictionary, or to collect and organise resources or information
The lesson activity module enables a teacher to deliver content and/or practice activities in interesting and flexible ways. A teacher can use the lesson to create a linear set of content pages or instructional activities that offer a variety of paths or options for the learner
The quiz activity enables a teacher to create quizzes comprising questions of various types, including multiple choice, matching, short-answer, and numerical
- The survey activity module provides a number of verified survey instruments that have been found useful in assessing and stimulating learning in online environments
- The file module enables a teacher to provide a file as a course resource. Where possible, the file will be displayed within the course interface; otherwise students will be prompted to download it
Can I try Moodle 2.8 before PanGlobal releases its update?
Yes! Moodle provides a free demo with full functionality on its webpage https://moodle.org/demo/. Three demo sites are available; however we recommend one of these two:
- Try Moodle’s standard features on this empty out-of-the-box site
Mount Orange Sandbox
- Explore Moodle in action with this site populated with courses, activities, and users
Where can I find more information on how to use Moodle 2.8?
Moodle provides documentation for using Moodle 2.8 on its webpage moodle.org which can be referenced for Managing a Moodle course and managing its content. As Moodle provides documentation for all versions since and including 1.9, please be sure you are browsing the documentation that applies to the current PanGlobal version.
When is PanGlobal implementing Moodle 2.8?
We are implementing Moodle 2.8 in the late summer of 2015.